Original German post WW2 Navy / Kriegsmarine Auxiliary Cruiser Badge / 1957 version - no swastika, IN PERFECT CONDITION, MAKER: ST&L (STEINHAUER UND LUECK), TWO PIECE CONSTRUCTION - RIVETED GLOBE, OPEN HINGE BLOCK, A VERY NICE DETAILED EXAMPLE OF A RARE AWARD. FEW FACTS ABOUT 1957 PATTERN AWARDS. In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War IIera decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region).The main government contract to manufacture and supply these new de-nazified WW2 1957 official decorations went to the world famous German firm Steinhauer & Lueck, Luedenscheid Germany. Knights Crosses, Iron Crosses , Wound Badges, Tank Assault Badges etc were re-designed by Steinhauer & Lück - often with the oak-leaf spray replacing the swastika, with S&L having the sole patent rights to all WW2 1957 German decorations. S&L did not have the whole monopoly on medal making, other famous firms such as Deschler & Sohn, BH Maher and Juncker also manufactured these new German decorations. Lüdenscheid is situated between the cities Dortmund and Bonn. It was here that one of the youngest medal firms was founded in 1889 by August Steinhauer and Gustav Adolf Lück. The first production began in a cellar, the customer base continued to increase. A property was bought at 51 Hochstrasse which is still home for this famous company today. During WW2 Steinhauer & Lück produced medals and badges, like the famous Knights Cross and many other types of medals and badges. In 1957 this company was awarded the contract to produce all the newly re-designed legal WW2 1957 de-nazified decorations, plus the contract to manufacture all of Germany's official decorations including Germany's highest order the Bundesverdienstkreuz.
Only a very limited number of original WW2 1957 medals are still produced, mainly Iron Crosses, German Cross Gold & Silver & Wound Badges and are considered 100% genuine by the German Government. On April 24, 1941 Grand Admiral Raeder ordered a special badge be introduced to recognize the bravery and heroism of the men of these vessels. Versions were produced in silver, tombak, and zinc. The globe could be an integral part of the badge or a separate piece, which was held in place by a single rivet. A special presentation version was produced with diamond-inlaid swastikas.The only known recipient of the diamonds version is Kapitän zur See Bernhard Rogge, commander of the cruiser Atlantis, to whom the badge was presented in January 1942 by Grand Admiral Raeder (Kapitän Rogge was awarded the Oakleaves to his Knights Cross on December 31, 1941). The badge was worn on the left breast. Like most Wehrmacht awards, there was no one standard award document for the Auxiliary Cruiser Badge and reference sources state that many different styles exist. Patrolling unfriendly waters for such periods of time and safely returning home can no doubt be considered remarkable.
It could also be awarded for distinguished leadership while taking part in these voyages. Any person wounded during the voyage automatically received the award. The item "10154 German post WW2 1957 pattern Kriegsmarine Navy Auxiliary Cruiser Badge" is in sale since Saturday, September 5, 2020. This item is in the category "Collectables\Militaria\World War II (1939-1945)\Medals/ Ribbons".anderson" and is located in Abbots Langley.
This item can be shipped worldwide.